Sunday, January 23, 2011

Dinner Bell

Thanks for all your dinner suggestions- what a helpful bunch you are!


Well, I felt like serving soup might be a bit odd.  I have no idea why, it just seemed like a strange idea to me.  I do like fondue but it was more work than I had time for Sat.  The cheesy bowties recipe was bookmarked for future use (thanks Emily). 


I stuck with the pasta idea but made a less traditional/heavy version. I made cheese ravioli with Balsamic Brown Butter.  This is a Giada De Laurentiis recipe; I've made it before and really enjoy it.  As an added bonus it is fast, easy, requires no special ingredients and the leftovers are tasty too!
In fact this photo is of the leftovers I enjoyed for lunch today.
Make some tonight!
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan 
1. toast the walnuts (I use 2/3 a cup) 
2. melt the butter, stir a few times, until the foam disappears and the butter browns (3-5 minutes
3. take the pan off the heat, let it cool for a few minutes 
4. whisk in the vinegar 
5. toss with pasta 
6. top with walnuts and cheese  

This is my good Balsamic.  It is fantastic! The flavor is terrific.  In fact for a little snack we've been known to drizzle some over parm or honeycomb for a snack.  It is thick as molasses and sticky like maple syrupy.  We found it in the Italian section of Philly 3 years ago.  I need to start searching for a replacement, I only have a few tablespoons left!

3 comments:

Leigh @ Kesler Expressler said...

That looks delicious! That's going to have to go into my list of meals to make.

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This looks awesome. I'm sure it went over well.

Unknown said...

Yumm. I love a good balsamic too. I put it on everything to give it a little more flavor!