Friday, January 28, 2011

Soups On!

It has been cold here, and while I'm not the biggest soup lover and I'm a picky eater, soup goes well with cold, snowy weather. 

Earlier this week I made my grandmother's corn chowder chowda- Leigh-bellished with many of my own touches of course.  We've been enjoying the leftovers all week.



 Grandma Celeste's Corn Chowda with Leigh-bellishments 
1/4 cup of minced bacon  I used 4-5 slices (or not if going veggie)
1 medium onion, minced 
1 cup each chopped carrots and celery I like a lot of "stuff" in my soup- so I used 1 1/2-2 c. each
2 c. diced potatoes I just cut up 2 taters 
1 can cream style corn
Equal amount of fresh/frozen kernel corn I just pour from the bag till it looks like enough
liquid- Celeste uses H2O I use chicken broth/stock & milk (cream if you want it richer/thicker/heavier) for flavor & supplement with water

1. Saute bacon, onion, carrots and celery- I like to keep them crunchy so not too long
2. Add potatoes and cover with liquid, cook until potatoes are almost fork tender
3. Add corn and cook until you want to eat
I also add: bunch-o-salt, some ground pepper, garlic salt, rosemary
Also good to add: bay leaf, some sort of pasta  
FYI- this is a very light chowder, John thinks maybe too light- fix that by starting with a rue and using cream rather than milk


While I worked on the soup, John made these bad boys.


He used this recipe it was simple enough.   Our kitchen is a little cold so rising time took longer but still it was much easier than I expected.  Though I think next time we won't bake off all 6 bowls, I'll stick some in the freezer to enjoy another time.

The finished product-

What do you eat in cold weather?

3 comments:

Leigh @ Kesler Expressler said...

Yum! I love a good hearty soup/chili when it's cold out. Those bread bowls look awesome. I've had the same issue with rise times this winter - I've been putting stuff in the oven so its draft free and a bit warmer than the countertop.

You totally could freeze the leftover bread bowls and just thaw & reheat next time you make soup.

Anonymous said...

Hot chocolate with whipped cream is my bev or choice in the cold weather and I love a good bowl of pasta with meatsauce and fresh grated parm on top...yum-u-lum! ck

Kelly said...

YUMMY!!! I made chili yesterday in the crockpot...