But we gave the lamppost some special attention as well. Since we've moved in, I have hated that post. I dislike the metal (and it's rusty state), I really dislike the ornate scrolly features but I HATE the bowed-tapered shape (I know that sounds impossible but it is true). Before John added the new light, I used a metal brush attachment for the drill to clean it off. Next it got a fresh coat of Rustoleum Hammered Dark Brozen paint.
That helped the color (and rust situation) and nicely matches the "aged iron" finish of the light fixtures. Of course, does nothing for the shape. While you can buy replacement posts, I knew I wanted a flowering vine to go up the post, so in fact this post is "perfect".
We selected the Clematis Crystal.
I just hope my grows quickly and is easy to train.