Tuesday, January 4, 2011

DIY Gifts part 2

Yesterday I showed you one of the Christmas gifts I crafted- monogramed bottels of hand sanitizer. Those were for people I work with and my cousins (who are also teachers).

For my aunts/uncles, parents, and in-laws, I etched some large glass containers.
Before:
After:

This was my first time glass etching, and there are plenty of tutorials out there, but I was pleasantly surprised how easily it was.  I used the smallest bottel of Armour Etching cream Michaels had, and used it all. Contact paper was used to create my designs, and a hole puncher for some.  Creating the designes with the dots were the most time consuming.  Also, getting the strips to be straight and evenly spaced was also challenging and time consuming. In some places the frosting wasn't consistent, which drove me nuts.  A second coat did help a bit.  

I also had just enough hand-created candles, personalized with my hand-carved stamp, leftover from last year's handmade gifts, to pop one in each container. 


Have you ever etched glass before?

5 comments:

Emily said...

I haven't done this but I would love to! Love your DIY gift ideas!

Roeshel said...

I never have but those look gorgeous! Great job! :)

Roeshel

Anonymous said...

Wow! Impressive! ck

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

This looks great! I love the designs you chose.

Anonymous said...

I love it! Me and etching glass are not friends after I tried to etch ornaments and they didn't turn out so great.. I should try again!